Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Parenting

***Edit on 1/22/11
Another friend shared an article in response to the original parenting article. There are two sides to every story. There's a lesson! Thanks Kim!
***
Ever have that moment where you think, "What have I done wrong?". "How will this choice effect the future of this kid I'm raising?" "If only I'd done that instead..."

A friend shared an interesting Wall Street Journal article on the differences between Western parenting and Chinese parenting. Interesting...

I just read it and I keep thinking I must have a thought about this...one worth writing about. Nope, not yet.

What about you?

2 comments:

  1. I am a western school psychologist so I would have a reeeaaalllyyy hard time accepting the ways depicted in the Chinese family here. The end result was positive, but my mind wanders to all that is painful in the middle. So is it true - no pain no gain? I don't know. I am too strong of a nurturing type to be as "hard" as that woman. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never be able to parent that way either...although it does give me pause. Are we too soft? So many kids scoff in the face of authority and hard work. Balance and good role models seems to be a middle ground there.

    ReplyDelete