Sunday, January 9, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

Over the holiday break I treated myself to a yogurt maker. My sister gave me a gift certificate to King Arthur Flour a few years ago and I found it while cleaning...whoops. I decided to buy something I would never otherwise have purchased. Thus the yogurt maker. I am surprised at how simple the process of making yogurt is.

What are the benefits of making yogurt yourself? Can it save me money? Is it healthier even though I'm buying milk from some enormous farm feeding their cows whatever? Are we creating less waste?

The handy maker that I bought is not even sort of necessary to create a delicious batch of yogurt in your kitchen according to the research I've done. It's just a fun kitchen gadget that makes me happy. You can make yogurt in your crock pot, on your heating pad, I even found a site that talked about just leaving it out in the sun (my thoughts are don't try this one, but you are all grownups...)

I'll be saving up the whey created to add to bread and trying out some yogurt cheese recipes I've found too. So much fun in my kitchen!

Here's a basic recipe...(you really should Google around though, it's fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment